What Is Your First Impression For This Zine?

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

VICIOUS INTERVIEWS

INFINITE DEFILEMENT
Interview with Jacob
Made By Patrick

Introducing Ya Some Austarlian Sikknezz....

Promo 2008, Sevared Records



1. P: Brutal hails jake!! Hope your having a nice relaxing holiday…please tell the readers little about yourself.
J: Im 25 and live in Melbourne, Australia. I am an Architectural Draftsman by trade. I just purchased my first house with my girlfriend of 8 years. I love extreme metal and I love to write brutal slamming death metal songs for my one-man band. In my free time I like to build
furniture and renovate my house. I also like to relax with a few cold beers.
2. P: what age did you discover metal? who were some of the first bands you listened to? who are some of your current favorites?
J: I discovered metal when I was about 15 years old. The firstbands I listened to in the genre was Metallica & Machine Heads first album. I had heard early Deicide & Cannibal Corpse but it never interested me. It wasnt until I was about 20 that I got into the extreme metal genre and ever since then I have been hooked! Nowadays I listen to bands such as Inveracity,Deeds of Flesh, Septical Gorge, Disgorge and many many others. The bands that made me love extreme metal were, Psycroptic & Nile. My fav metal is the brutal guttural stuff.
3. P: when did you get the idea to create/form infinite defilement? when you started did you plan on keeping a one-man band or have you looked for other members?
J: After listening to brutal death metal for about 1-2 years I decided that I wanted to make music like that. My younger brother played guitar in a death metal band so I got him to show me a few things on guitar because I had no idea how toplay. I then self tought myself how to play and about 6 months later I had written my first demo 'Perpetual Desecration of Being'. I had some good feedback on it soI decided to continue making brutal music. I have never realy thought of a full lineup because Infinite Defilement was just my own little baby and I wanted to keep it that way. I have however hooked up a real drummer to play drums in a future ep and the full length contains a bonus track with him on drums.
4. P: your opinion what is the best and worst part about being a 1-man band? if you had the chance to work with any musicians past or present who would you like to work/jam with ?
J: The best thing about being a one man band is that you are not limited by other members opinions and you can make themusic exactly how you want it. The bad thing is you have to
do all instruments yourself which can be very tiring. Also live gigs are hard to do on your own. I guess jamming with any of the pro's would be sick!
5. P: i was interested to know what was the hardestinstrument for you to learn to play? which was the easiest one to learn?
J: Guitar is probly the hardest instrument to learn and even today i suck on guitar, hehe. Drum machine is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I also still struggle with vocals from time to time. I am just not as natural at them as some people are.
6. P: how often do you get to practice/write music? how long does it usually take to complete a song? which usually comes first the music or lyrics for the song? speaking of lyrics what are some of topics/subjects you write about?
J: My job is full time but because I work from home i get alot of time in between jobs to take a break and grab the guitar. Sometimes songs just come to me easy and other times it is very frustrating to write good riffs. Some of the songs on the full length I wrote in about 2-3 days and others took weeks. Sometimes the music comes before the lyrics and sometimes the lyrics before the music, it never realy bothers me. My lyrical themes are about humanity and its greed and how we are destroying ourselves with things like politics & religion. Basically I write lyrics about all the fucked ways of human beings. And dont get me wrong, I am also a fucked human being, hehe.
7. P: you have some of the sickest,most guttural vokills i have heard in a long time.do you do anything special to keep your throat healthy? who are some of your favorite vocalist?
J: Thanks dude. I do all of my vocals outwards, no inwards at
all. Even my higher vocals are done outwards. I just tighten up my chest and let ripp. It helps to have a wet throat so I always have some water beside me when doing vox. Beer is even better, hehe!My fav vocalists are Dennis Rondum (Spawn of Possession) & Angel (Cephalotripsy/Condemned). Also Matti Way & Levi from Disgorge are sick as hell!
8. P: you have recently released a 3-way split cd and a promo cd through the u.s label sevared rec. can you give the readers some information on these releases? are they still availble? how did you come in contact with sevared rec?
J: I asked Barrett from Sevared Records if he would like to stock some of my self released demo and he said ok. Ever since then we have been working together. He is very easy going and great to work with. The 3 way split is Infinite Defilement/Egemony/Flesh Impaled. I contacted these guys about doing a split in early 2008 and sevared agreed to do a limited press of 250 copies. There are still some copies left. My promo cd contains my
newest and sickest stuff yet. It has 4 tracks and clocks in at around 17min. The 4 songs from the promo will also be on the LP. I have recently sold all of my promo copies just in time for my LP. Sevared still has some copies I think. Check my myspace for how to buy any of my releases.
9. P: besides the 2 releases i know you are hard at work on a new full-length to be released in early 2009! how many songs will you have on it? will it be released on a label or self-released?
J:Yeah my full length titled 'Disgorging Humanity' is about to be sent to the press. It will be released by texan label Deformed Fetus Productions. It will contain 9 tracks including an outro and a bonus track with real drums. I even have a track with a few gust vocal apearences. It is the most brutal music I have written to date!

10. P: what other merchandise do you have availble for the fans?
J: I still have some shirts left for $14US inc. postage, and will soon hope to have some stickers & buttons. I would like to do some stubby holders one day soon and full length album shirts are a possibility.
11. P: you come from the amazing australian scene.i personally have been a huge fan/support of the aussie scene for years.so i wanted to know your thoughts/opinions on the australian metal scene?
J: The Aussie scene is not bad, alot of grindcore etc. thebest bands come from Tasmania a big island south of melbourne. When you go to Tasmania its like WTF! how could
there be death metal here, hehe. I went to Tassie last year for a fishing trip. It is a beutifull place. Psycroptic are the Tassie kings of death metal!
12. P: .who are some of your all-time favorite australian bands? are there any new bands the underground should watchout for?
J: Psycroptic, Terrorust, The Day Everything Became Nothing, Born Headless, Mephistopheles, M.S.I.
13. P: In your opinion what is the best and worst thing about the underground? and what does the term "metal underground" mean to you?
J: The best thing about underground extreme metal is that it only has true followers, unlike above ground music who get fans who just tag along cause everyone else is doing it. Underground metal is not for the faint hearted! The worst thing about the underground is that most people are broke and expect somthing for nothing. Just because you are into underground metal doesnt mean you have to be a bum!
14. P: When your not working on the band.what do you enjoy
doing in your spare-time?
J: Working with timber Renovating Fishing Drinking with mates ohhh, and hanging with my GF. Almsot forgot!
15. P: Well brother thanks alot for taking the time to do this interview.do you have any final comments for the readers of vicious acts of humanity?
J: Thanks for the interview. Great questions bro! Stay brutal and keep your eye out for my LP cause it will blast your head off!


http://www.myspace.com/infinitedefilemnt




CYCLOTRON
Interview with Sasha (Guitars)
Made By Patrick

UNCLASSIFIED DEATH METAL




1. Metal hails brother!!how are things with you? please tell the readers a little about yourself.
Hi Patrick, first of all thank you for doing the interview and for your support! We really appreciate it! i am sasha, 28 years old guitarist for Cyclotron.
i am a big metal fan since i was a little boy. i started playing guitar with 14 and soon started a band with some friends. after being frustrated of not
being able to put a line-up together that would last i laid the guitar to rest with 18 and didnt touch it anymore until i was 22. the line-up problems
are still there but it doesnt bother me anymore as it did before. so i´m back in business.
2,at what age did you discover metal? who were some of the first bands you heard? who are some of your "current" favorite bands?
When i was 11 years old, my brother gave me a cassette with the Iron Maiden album "Somewhere in time". He got it from his back-then girlfriend who got it from
another person who didnt like it. so that dude gave it to her, she didnt like it and gave it to my brother, he doesnt like metal at all and gave it to me - and
i loved it! Since that day i am a Metal-o-holic. then i discoverd more and more metal bands which i really loved and still love - like W.A.S.P., Judas Priest, Megadeth, Ozzy....
My current fave bands i guess would be my all-time fave bands: Zero Hour, Necrophagist and Running Wild. I also love stuff from Martyr, Origin, Meshuggah,
Symphony X, Fates Warning, Threshold, Power of Omens, Spiral Architect, Savage Grace ... its a long list with a lot of different metal styles.
3.when did you get interested in playing guitar? did you take lessons or are you self-taught? who are some of your influences/favorite guitarist?
I think it was back in 1994, i saw a Running Wild live video on a german music television station. they had a metal show once a week, where they played some
really good stuff, even the hard stuff. i was really impressed by these guys with their cool guitars! so i had to get one! i took lessons for about 2 years.
my teacher was from the jazz and blues department. he was an awesome player, and he really got it going on!
my fave guitarists? there are a lot of good players i look up to. just to mention a few:
Michael Romeo, Jasun Tipton, Jason Becker.... again this list would be too long.
4.besides guitar do you play any other instruments? if yes which ones.
Actually just a little drums and i can handle the bass guitar! But i love the guitar, so i´m a full-time guitarist!

5.when did you guys form cyclotron? what is the "current" line-up? for those who have never heard the band how would you describe the bands sound?
the idea of Cyclotron was born about 2 years ago. the current line-up consists only 2 members. Vince as the voice and me. as long as i remember it was hard or even
impossible to hold a complete line-up for long and we´ve always struggeled with line-up problems. but this time we won´t let this stop us.
Its hard to describe the bands sound. I would call it "unclassifiable Death Metal" but i guess its just Death Metal with a lot of experimentation.
6.would you say you and the other members of cyclotron have a open-mind towards metal and music in general? the reason i ask is the demo you sent.i defintly hear a strong death/grind influence but also ambient/experimental parts as well.
yes, of course. we´re open-minded to a lot of music styles. we share the metal addiction, but are also inspired by rock, jazz, fusion or even classical music and other stuff.
we added the ambient parts to a few songs because it fits good to the topics of the lyrics. and we added these crazy effects to the voice to create more of a surreal soundscape.
7.how often does the band get to practice? who usually writes the music does the whole band write or does 1-2 members handle it all?
we dont practice regularly. since we dont have a complete line-up there is no need to. Everybody practices for himself and just sometimes we meet.
i wrote the complete music for the first demo as well for the second one that will soon be released.
8.who usually writes the lyrics? is their any special meaning or message you try to spread to your fans?
i wrote the lyrics for the first demo. Basicly the lyrics for the songs are little stories! Since i´m a big-time fan of horror movies and stuff like that,
the lyrics are inspired by this. some even do have a meaning to me but i did not try to spread a particular message.
9.do you or the other members have any side-projects or other bands you are currently working/playing with?
I had a progressive metal project with a singer a few time ago. But it didnt work out, because he was busy with other projects and we lived
just to far away from each other, so i decided to quit that and focus on Cyclotron.
10.the band is from the mighty german underground.what is your opinon of the u/g metal scene in germany?
there are some really good bands and musicians out there. some of them are so professional you wonder why they are not signed or why
they get so less attention. though there are still people here who love real metal, you never see so much people at a show. and though there are good bands
here and people who listen to them, i dont think that germany is a big metal paradise.
11.who are some of your all-time favorite german metal bands? are there any new brutal bands you feel the underground should know about or keep a eye out for?
Of course Necrophagist. i think people should watch out for Obscura. they are from Munich too and these guys kick some ass! Also i really like "Success Will Write
Apocalypse Across The Sky". Though they´re not from Germany, but these guys rule! Same with Unexpect. i think they are from Canada and their music is
really ... unexpected! I really love that stuff!
12.in your opinion what is the best and worst thing about the underground today? and what does the term "metal underground" mean to you?
Underground means to me that you can do the music you want to do! Not following any rules, being open for experiments if you want to. Not being focused on
how much you will earn on your music and not making music for the purpose to get rich and famous. Doing whatever you want with no influence from any other
persons who dictate you what to play!
i think the best thing about the underground today is that still there are a lot of people and bands that go the way they want to. people who make good music
without taking care of whats trendy.
13,when not working or working on band-related stuff.what do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
Besides playing guitar i spend a lot of time with my girl and our dog. Also i spend a lot of time at the gym working out, that keeps me healthy and alive. And recently
i´ve got a Playstation 2. Though i´m yet more the grandpa-style player - like: "damn, where is the button to shoot". But i´m learning fast, and its real fun.
14.thanks alot sasha for doing this interview with me and vicious acts of humanity web-zine.do you have any final comments for the readers?
thanks a lot to you Patrick and Kate for doing the interview and for your continuous support. its really an honour!! thanks also a lot to everyone who supported
Cyclotron in any kind of way!! we dont take your support as granted and we will never ever forget what you all have done for us!! YOU RULE!!!
and of course thanks to all the readers!! you can contact us on our email: cyclotron1@web.de and you can check us out on our myspace-page: www.myspace.com/cyclotrongermany
you can download our complete first demo-cd there, the link is in our blog! also watch out for our new demo which will be released probably in March!
thanks so much and a happy new year to everybody!!!
METAL!!!

http://www.myspace.com/cyclotrongermany





Interview with Rudy/ A&S Design Co.
Made By KatEternal

Sikknezz Through The Eyes Of A Minor


Alcoholocaust & Sieke


Brutal, Grinding & Blasting Hailz Rudy!!!
First Of All I would like to say “Thank you” from my behalf & Patrick’s for everything you did for Vicious_Acts_Of_Humanity Zine so far. You were our supporter since Day 1 and we really respect that! Everyone seems to love the bannerz you created for us (especially the one with the white logo) :)
Exposuring you and A&S Design Co. Is our way of returning the favor! Therefore, good you agreed to do this interview with me :)
Ok now let us start the torture slowly :)

1. First of all tell me something more about yourself. I know your name is Rudy, you are 18 years old, living in California and something tells me you have some Spanish origin! :)
R: Nah, I'm actually 16. And yeah, I'm mexican and have native american blood in me.
2. Who Is Rudy? How would you describe yourself?
R: That one guy who is in the patched vest and playing his music way too loud
3. What are you doing in your spare time? Describe me one (un)normal day of yours! Moreover, skip the school part!
R: Wake up, go to school, get home, practice bass, and do some designs!
4. When did you had your first “closer” experience with metal music? At what age you discovered metal music, and describe me a bit that unholy day!
R: My dad is to thank for that, though he was moreinto classic metal like Iron Maiden and Metallica, though from those bands I found more extremem bands like Carcass and Mayhem
5. It’s easy to tell by your artwork so far, that you are into grindcore, brutal death metal & hardcore too. Is there any other music (non-metal genre) you prefer to listen? Could you name me some of your favorite bands?
R: Kat, in all seriousness, I've been listening to shit like Paramore and Metro Station. Hahah, really horrible pop, but hey! It's groovy right?
6. Have you ever played in a band? And tell me what is your favorite show where you have been a “victim”? Which band’s live performance leaved serious influence & damage over you so far?
R: I've had my share on my local music scene, though I'm taking a break. One show I remember, was a total nightmare. Our drummer's set kept fucking up and we almost got kicked off! I remember when I saw Napalm Death and Devildriver a year back, MAN that shit was crazy. I only hope one day, I can put on a show like that!
7. Ok, back to the questions about A&S Design Co. I know I cannot wait to hear what you have to say about it! :) Tell me more about the beginning of this sickness of yours. I am interested to hear the bio of A&S Design Co; the time when you found it and how did you come up with the idea?
8. R: Boredom and Photoshop go hand-in-hand I suppose. After I quit my last band, I decided, 'If you can't beat 'em, Join 'em.' Soon after, I had bands flocking to me for some logos, including you guys ;)
9. Does A&S Design stand for “Alcoholocaust & Sieke”? Sieke is your girlfriend. Tell me what is her role in A&S? She draws something too, or simply she is your biggest support?
R: She's both kind of. She supports me, and does whatever she can to help me. I'm glad I have her behind me.
10. I know that you’re a really big underground supporter which is incredibly great for a guy that has only 18 years, and I must say you are really talented!!! I know you draw not only banners and logos, but you also make layouts and T-shirts designs. And is kickass work so far!!! What was the first thing you ever draw for some band or zine?
R: I'm 16 yo, STILL A MINOR!!! Hahah, I drew a zombie in math class freshman year. And the rest is history.
11. In which creation you enjoy the most? What do you like to work on? What is your favorite (un)creation?
R: I love what I do. To send a logo to some unsigned band in the assback of nowhereland and have him say 'Sick logo, bro' is what i thrive for.
12. Do you know the exact number of your artwork so far? I bet it’s huge
R: Only about 50 designs so far. Hoping to double that soon.
13. I know you have some big plans for 2009. I already found out you are planning to charge for your work from now on, and decided to finally get some credit for all that you do. (atleast that’s the thing you wrote the last on your blog section) What made you change your mind? (Kat: You know you have our full support whatever you decide!)
14. R: Actually, I decided that I shouldn't charge. It's too much of a hassle and I get more publicity for being free.
(KatEternal : Damn Rudy, you sure do change your opinion fast!) :)
15. I saw a new member in A&S Design Co. Welcome aboard David!!! :) He has the same last name as you. Are you two related somehow?
R: no, we're just mexicans yo.
16. What will be his role in A&S Design?
R: Who knows, we'll find out soon enough. ;)
17. The plans for the future…?
18. R: Avoid lawsuits. (Sorry to torso_boy for stealing a piece of his art!)

We have reached the end Rudy. It was nice talking to ya brother, hope you enjoyed this interview!!!Thank you so much once again for your time and for your choice to help out & support the VICIOUS Ones!!! I will leave some blank space here, so you can ask me something if you like, or write something you wanted to say and I did not asked you!

R: You know, for my first interview, it wasn't so bad! Hope to do this again someday. Cheers to you and hope your zine kicks off great next year!

A&S DESIGN, FOR YOUR EVERDAY LOGO NEEDS!


http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=410699403




DISEMBOWEL
Interview with Danny, Rob & Bertrand
Made By KatEternal


THREE(some)







Brutal & Blasting Hailz Brotherz! First of all, I must say I am excited like you are (not that stupid girly excitement) :D, but I must say I am glad to do this interview, especially cause it‘s my first time dealing with 3 sicko’s! :)
So, be gentle, please, hahahahahaha! I will start off with questions about the band in general, and then I‘ll torture you one by one, ok? :D
Before we start the execution, I would like to say a BIG “THANX” for everything you did so far! Your support is really something special, and thanks once again to Denny for making the logo of D. Design E-zine :) and for being so supportive as well VICIOUS ACTS OF HUMANITY ZINE!!!
Ok, let’s start with a rather traditional introduction. :)



1. Tell me more about Disembowel….you formed a few years ago; knowing you through all the messages & e-mails so far, I would say you guys met in a bar :) Hahahahaahaha

Denny: The first time I met Rob was in the city hall during a demonstration (I don’t remember the cause). After some talking we decided to found a Black/Death Metal band. But we disbanded after two years. A half year later, I met Rob again and we decided to form a new band, pure Death Metal this time. He would play bass and handled the vocals while I played the guitar. We we went through a lot of shitty drummers. Then, approximately another half year later, I met Helge at the market, playing Nirvana songs on a guitar. After some beers he decided to join us on bass (he had never played bass before HAHAHAHAHA). Then Alex and Rudi, two new students in town, completed the line-up. But there were a lot of problems with Rudi, so after 2 years we decided to part ways with him. The first time I then met Type was at a show. We asked him if he were interested to join us and he then replaced Rudi. One year after that, Alex eventually left the band because he decided to move away and couldn‘t spare time for Disembowel. Then we met Bertrand at a festival and this funny guy fits perfectly in our line up HAHAHAHAHAHA


2. Was “Disembowel” the first name you came up with, or was it subject of a name change?

Denny: We had compiled a list of names which we found cool and then decided on Disembowel. The origin of the name is actually the first death metal band I ever listened to: SIX FEET UNDER. „IMPULSE TO DISEMBOWEL“ - what a great song.

3. Because I don’t have any previous information on this issue, I must ask: Was the current style of Disembowel always the style of music you played?

Denny: No, I think we were and are always progressing (as every musician does) and as you learn more about your instrument and about music, you can express yourself and your feelings in a more intensive and more complex way.



4. How do you rehearse your songs? Do you rent a rehearsal room or own a garage?

Bertrand: We don’t really often rehearse. We sometimes rehearse in In Demise‘s rehearsal room, only once every 1 or 2 months though...because Denny, Helge and Type have to travel to Berlin, which is expensive and a 3 hour trip every way.

Denny: Most of the time we rehearse our stuff at home and the internet is our best friend HAHAHAHAHAHA

5. Can you describe one of your rehearsals? What kind of mutilation is going on there? :)

Bertrand: The others will get tipsy and we‘ll eat lots of shitty food...XD But other than that, we‘ll work our way through two full sets.

6. In your opinion, what bands have/had the most vicious and deranged influence on you? Is there any non-metal music that gave you inspiration or ideas you proudly follow?


Denny: I can only speak for me because we are all fairly different. Rob listens to a lot of stuff that I wouldn’t listen to and vice versa. I enjoy nine inch nails , aphex twin, square pusher, dresden dolls, sonic youth, sometimes vivaldi, johnny cash, midi and gabba-grind HAHAHAHA. I like everything that is crazy.

Bertrand: That‘s true, hahaha. Me and Robert are more into Prog Rock and stuff like that. Type just listens to brutal blasting metal all day....and Alexander Marcus, a cheesy German disco pop singer, ahahaha


7. Surely, you all don’t listen to the same music, but Disembowel has to have one band that all of you respect, support & listen? Can we get the name? :)

Bertrand: I guess Denny would say Meshuggah!

Denny: Yes, Meshuggah and SUFFOCATION. I think I can say that we all LOVE SUFFOCATION.

Bertrand: That‘s true, Suffocation is a big influence.


8. I know you went through some line-up changes (i.e. new drummer), so tell me, did DISEMBOWEL have a hard time? When did you feel great, and when did you feel like you were at rock bottom, and there is no way out?

Denny: I guess rock bottom for the band was last autumn. After Alex decided to part with us, we lost our perspective. But didn‘t just give up .
We began to write material for symptoms of decline. Then we meet Bertrand and asked him if he were interested in recording the drums and gigging with us. He said YES and so we were back on track.


9. I am positive that there is a bright future ahead of you, but if you stop for a second and rethink your whole work so far, will you find something you regret about something you wish you would’ve done differently?

Denny: It’s difficult to say because you don’t know what will happen if you change anything.
Of course, there are some things we would change (for example recordings, we would prepare better)...but I believe making mistakes is a part of progress.
Bertrand: Good ol‘trial and error! The greatest achievements of man originate from that simple principle... ;)

10. What are you serving the fans on your live performances? What makes you different and what can we expect from you?

Bertrand: We deliver an entertaining and fairly intense live show, I guess. I‘ve heard a lot of good words about our past shows (which I really appreciate), so I guess I‘m not too off :)

11. What are you doing when you don’t play? Or every day is Disembowel Day? :)

Bertrand: I‘m studying to become an audio engineer at the SAE Berlin.
Denny: When it isn’t disembowel day, then its Pighead day hahahahaha. I’m a fucking workaholic. In my “real” life, I’m an electrician.
Rob: At the moment I’m doing my apprenticeship as electrical engineer for systems and devices, in my free time I drink beer, spend time with my girlfriend and of course listen to heavy metal. Sometimes I’m also writing lyrics for disembowel ;)

12. Ok, let’s focus here on “Symptoms of Decline”. I am personally interested in more about the “studio part”, i.e. some info about the name of the studio, the producer, the terms and time in general of the making process of “Symptoms…”

Bertrand: „Symptoms Of Decline“ was recorded in a city near Greifswald called Rostock, at the „Shredsound“-Studio. Steffen Nevermann (also guitarist of „Weyland“) engineered the whole thing, and Denny was acting as the producer.


13. Any funny or weird things that happened during recording?

Bertrand: I didn‘t experience anything too extraordinary...but I heard Helge recorded some tracks naked: D Denny?

Denny: OH yes there was a lot of fun!!! I was drunk every day(of course I was - I was the producer hahahahaha) and Helge actually recorded some tracks naked HAHAHAHAHA.

Rob: YEAH we captured it on video; maybe we will release it someday….

14. I already know that you have a lot of gigs coming up.. Is there someone, a manager or similar (from BMC Records) that organizes gigs for you, or do you take care of yourself?

Denny: Yes, we have a manager ( Stephan from BMC Records) who promotes and books us, but we do a lot of bookings ourselves.


15. The best fans you played for till now?

Denny: The best fans are in our hometown Greifswald - because they‘re all crazy and hungry for Metal - it‘s always great to party with them!


16. Plans for the near future?

Denny: Yes! World domination! And our own band bus! HAHAHA
Rob: More gigs and a new album!
Bertrand: Yeah, I hope we get to do some gigs in Spring 2009 and hit the festival season 2009 properly!




The PERSONAL QUESTIONS: :)

DENNY:



1. You are the guitar player of DISEMBOWEL and you also play in Pighead. Was the guitar your first instrument you tried to play? Your first passion?

-> I tried to learn bass when I was 15... But after one year I decided to switch to guitar.

2. When was your first contact with metal music? I mean the first bands you listened to, and that period when your parents thought you were part of some satanic cult and/or using drugs! :D (Kate: That turned out to be true later) Hahahahaha

-> My first contact with death metal was six feet under; I was totally impressed by their intensity and brutality - and of course by the voice. After that, I began to listen to Death and Cannibal Corpse, and then I got into heavier and faster stuff (like Origin, Necrophagist). I think my parents didn’t suspect that I was part of a satanic cult or that I used drugs. THEY KNEW THAT I WAS AND THAT I’M STILL A FREAK....

3. Since when do you play guitar and what kind of guitar do you play?

-> I‘ve been playing since I was 16, so already 8 years. At the moment I play a esp/ltd sc607b (the same guitar as Type‘s, by the way).

4. Tell me about Disembowel, but from your own point of view…Who’s the coolest one in the band, who’s annoying, who’s the clown and who’s the alcoholic? :)Hahahahahahahaha

-> Rob and Bertrand are the coolest; Type is awesome, but sometimes really annoying because he is crazy. Helge is the clown and I’m the alcoholic.

5. The first sexual experience? (I will understand if you don’t answer this) hahahaha

-> I‘ve never had sex before. I’m a-sexual HAHAHAHAHAHA. My girlfriend doesn‘t approve... HAHAHA.

6. What bugs you the most? When you are irritated, pissed-off and why? What makes you nervous?

-> I freak out when somebody scratches over the surface of a balloon HAHAHAHAHA(no joke).

7. What calms you? Maybe watching Sponge Bob? :) hahahahaha

-> When I’m angry or pissed off I just listen to music (electro or melodic gabbagrind) or play guitar.


8. Favourite bands? Favourite alcohol? :)

-> meshuggah, suffocation, death, cannibal corpse, cephalic carnage, origin, bloodbath, devourment, condemned and all the other US-slam stuff, satyricon, aphex twin, dillinger escape plan. My fav alcohol: BEER and RUM

9. What would you like to change or add to the underground scene nowadays? Are you satisfied with the way things happen, or you think there are too many death metal bands who are trying to look and sound similar to each other?

-> It’s very hard to be different. The underground scene has it’s own dynamic. A few people want to sound like the band XY and want to look like them, but I have no problem with that. The most of these movements are hypes. Pighead is the same thing. It’s just my copy of US-Slamgrind or what i think slamgrind is.

10. Because I know you are designing logos (since you made one for Death’s Design zine as well), tell me how long have you been “putting” your sickest thoughts on paper? When did you discover your talent?

-> I think I began to draw at the age of 12, but I thought I wasn’t very talented, so I quit after a few years. Then I began to listen to metal and i started to do some logos just for myself and when i had my first band, I drew the logo, then for other friends as well. Not a big deal.







RRRRRRRRRROB:



1. Hey Rob! Glad to have you here on Vicious Acts_Of_Humanity Zine! Thanx for taking some time off to answer the questions, and to show us some support! How are you?

-> Thanks for YOUR support Kate! I’m glad to have the chance to answer your questions. it´s my first interview ever, that’s why I’m also a bit excited^^

2. You are the vocalist, and also the one “in charge” of the lyrics. First of all, I would like to know: did you write anything else than lyrics for Disembowel?

-> Primarily I’m responsible for the lyrics and vocal patterns. I can´t remember to have written anything else. But the disembowel stuff is mostly the essence of many of our ideas. I guess some of my ideas have been realized on “Symptoms of Decline” too hehe.

3. Have you ever been in another band, or is Disembowel your only band?

-> Besides Disembowel I´m involved in Pighead where I actually play the bass guitar ;). Pighead is Disembowel‘s smaller retarded brother... a twist of a project and a band. I´m working on it and it‘s a lot of fun, but disembowel is the more serious thing for me.

4. As I was “digging up” some info on you :) I discovered the name Katatonia in your list of favorite bands, which I must say surprised me. Not in a bad way or anything - I just don’t get to hear that name often lately. :) What draws you to this band, and to the bands you listen in general? What can attract you to favourizing and supporting a band? What means good sound for you?

-> I listen to much different stuff, besides I guess the other guys do too. Of course I prefer death metal in general, but I also need a balance to the brutal shit. For me these are bands like Katatonia, Ulver, Porcupine Tree etc…rather quiet stuff. And in regard to the fact that I am a musician as well, I try to get as much influence as possible, so I cannot concentrate on only one genre. For me, it’s important to identify with a band, they do not have to be unique or innovative, they just have to turn me on;)


5. Best live performance you’ve ever witnessed?

-> I witnessed Suffocation live on the PartySan Festival 2005, they played right after Cannibal Corpse. It was a murder billing; I did a lot of crowd surfing. And unforgettable for me is also Meshuggah; I’ve seen them in 2005 in Hamburg/Germany. Astonishing sound, great performance!!!!

6. How much alcohol is included during your show? :)

->sometimes even more than I can bear hehe.


7. When I did some research on your lyrics (that was before you send them to me) :), I found an annotation that they are about murder and death. I kinda disagree with this - it’s partly true, but in general I think that the “moving force” of your lyrics is human failure! Maybe the lost battle of mankind (humanity) but in a more psychological way. Guided by (like you’ve said) “…Human behaviour is the fuel for cataclysmic machinery…”
So, can you reveal the secret to me? :) Am I right, or did I totally miss the point here? hahahahaha

-> You’re damn right Kate. Thematically I tried to focus on a possible future, that we might deserve due to our whole lifestyle, which includes ignorance, mercilessness and also technical progress. In the end we’re responsible for ourselves and for our offspring. Personally I’m inspired by science fiction movies for example equilibrium, terminator and the matrix…

8. “Preached Insanity” arghhhh :) It seems to me, like one of the older songs written. Am I right?

->It´s not the newest, but also not the oldest. So why do you think that?^^
(Kate: Probably the style of writing and the theme in general made me think that way….)

Kat: I think there is absolutely no way to explain this text, I personally really like it, and the reasons for this “condition” of yours in this song are more than obvious. I am not looking for an explanation for how you wrote it, just asking why you came up with such an idea? What were the reasons you wrote this? Revolted by...? I simply adore what you did here…So simple, yet you managed to create some intensity and complexity to the lyrics. I have nothing more to add but: “I dare to think it’s over while I’m losing my self in a thousand ones….”… (“Preached Insanity”- last sentence).

->he he thank you. First, I had absolutely no idea what to write about, because the title was already given. My main inspiration for the “preached insanity” lyrics came, when I saw the cover artwork, which was in fact based on Denny’s idea and conception and was perfectly converted by Fabio Listrani. I tried to feel empathy with the illustrated person on the cover and thought about a possible background of „it‘s“ situation. It’s just a bit of fantasy ;) not more.


8. Explain to me the creation process of a song and it‘s lyrics. I already know your main “subject” - what else is inspiring you?

->Denny is a great inspiration for me, we fit perfectly together in creative processing.
I often work on his ideas (lyrically).In addition I use many books or articles from the internet to get into a theme before I write about it…often I’m inspired by the music itself
(Mostly, I write lyrics to an instrumental pre-version).

9. “Inquire Beyond” - maybe you can explain to me why I have to read this over and over again…seriously, you‘ve gotta remember how much time it took you to “unleash this beast”. And how much historical, psychological or thriller books are “involved” during the mentioned creation process?

-> (do you like it, or is it difficult to understand?) it was rather easy for me to write that text. Don’t call me esoteric but since I can remember I think that there is more than we just see, something irrational. I’m affected by all these ghost stories and paranormal appearances seen on TV or read about in several books…it just reflects my opinion and that’s easy to realize though.
(Kate: I don’t Love it, I adore it!!!!!! ;)

10. What is your opinion about girls in metal? The situation nowadays is better than let‘s say, 5 years ago, but girls never seem to get the credit and support they deserve…

->Do you speak about female fans or girls as musicians?
There are a lot of female metal fans and that’s good…and there are also a few female musicians in metal. No one complains about that, at least not me.

11. The most embarrassing thing ever happened to you?

->Sorry, maybe i can’t remember because I was drunk


BERTRAND:

1. Brutal Hailz to you too, Bertrand! I must say I feel honored to have this conversation with you! I was following your work, especially when when you “entered” the Disembowel-ment and I am simply amazed by it! When I listened to “Symptoms Of Decline” I constantly was distracted by the drums :) You unmercifully rape them! One of the greatest drummers I have heard, at least in the last two years! How are you?

-> Hahaha, hey Kate thanks to you too for your kind words and amazing support! I‘m fine, thanks. I hope you are as well :)

2. Ok, let’s focus a bit on your childhood, on your first steps of “drum madness”. When was the first time you actually saw the drums as an instrument and in the same moment knew that it was gonna be your never-ending obsession? :)

-> After playing piano and cello for a while, I quit both (which I regret until today: D). I guess I was looking for something different. When I started listening to rock/metal music, I always found myself drawn to the drums, so my passion developed rather gradually. At that time, I was living in Geneva, Switzerland, and one day, I found out that I had a drums & percussion school just round my corner! So I signed up for a few lessons...and stayed there a little longer :)

3. Did you take lessons/classes for drumming or are you self-taught?

-> I‘d say half-half. After the one year of lessons that I mentioned, my family relocated to Berlin, Germany, and I practised on my own for a few years. Then I found out that Randy Black (from ex-Annihilator and now Primal Fear) lives in Berlin - so I gave him a call and started taking lessons from him, which I still do today.

4. One of your idols and drum legends from you past as a teenager, and one from nowadays?

-> Back in the day, I of course was into David Silveria (Korn), Joey Jordison (Slipknot), Igor Cavalera (Sepultura back then) and the likes...today I appreciate a great number of drummers, but just to name a few: Thomas Lang (for his unique style and speed), Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater (for his style-blending skills), Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree (for his subtle accenting) and Lille Gruber of Defeated Sanity (for playing effectively and interesting at the same time).


5. What equipment do you use? (I am sure lots of readers will wanna know that) :)

-> Hahaha, I use shitty equipment....a cheap worn out double kick pedal, cheap broken cymbals (mostly Paiste with the occasional Meinl and Sabian) plus my self made bell :D
My kit is an ok Pearl Export...but I should change the drum heads :D

6. What makes a “good drummer” in your opinion? What does it take, besides passion and lot of rehearsing? And money for equipment of course :)

-> Money is definitely not necessary - a little, sure, but I know a lot of drummers that own ace equipment but still can‘t play for shit - and the opposite as well.
In my opinion, a drummer needs a certain frame of mind. Practising is important, but this frame of mind is more important. I have of course not found that yet, but I feel like I‘m getting there. It‘s about getting to know the essence - listening to how your drumkit really sounds instead of just hitting it - producing sound instead of just playing notes.


7. You are now the new drummer of Disembowel, and their session member for live duties. How did you people meet? (although my assumption was given at the start of this interview) hahahahahahaha

-> Hahaha, almost right, but actually worse - we met at a festival! :D
I remember, I was at the Filthrock 2006 (small festival near Berlin), and I saw two nutcases running around - one with a surgeon mask (Rob) and one with a swimming ring (Denny) :D Later, we hung out on the camping grounds and got to know each other. We then stayed in touch via myspace....until Denny called me one day, telling me that Alex left them, but that they were planning on recording an album. Since I always wanted to record an album, I listened to the material - and liked it so much that I agreed to work with them!


8. I am also interested about your work in your previous bands: (In Demise, Reprieve, Impiety's Forest, Hostage Down) are you still active with some of them, and what were the best alcoholic sickos to hang out with? :)

-> To keep you updated, I still play in In Demise, as well as Orphan Playground Sniper and Wasted Safety (in which I mainly play guitar). I never really joined Hostage Down, I helped them out, because my brother and some old friends play there. They appear to be complete again though, I‘m excited to watch their next move.
When I first moved to Berlin, I played with Impiety‘s Forest (Black Metal) - but hey, we were 15 back then, one has to start somewhere :D
Then I played with Reprieve for the final gig, and that‘s how I met Jacob (Schmidt, bassist of nowadays Defeated Sanity and Cerebric Turmoil), who hooked me up with David and Joschi (which turned out to become In Demise).
I still hang out with Chris who played in Impiety‘s Forest back then,(he plays for prog Death Metal Band „Unsoul“ now), as well as with Jacob, and also with the boys from Hostage Down. Including the guys from my own band (In Demise), they‘re all great fun to party and drink with! :D

9. Being older than the other guys in Disembowel, means what..? Having some “solid status” of a genius, being annoyed by the younger ones? :) or sharing the same problems, ideas, plans as the others?

-> I guess you‘re grossly misinformed on that one - I am in fact the youngest in Disembowel! :) (Denny is the oldest) But I appreciate that I‘m not ignored or anything for that matter. The others respect my opinion and we try to work as a team...at least to a certain extent.. ;)
(Kate: I found that information on some site, actually two of them, one was German I think….I am really not sure…sorry Bertrand!)

10. How many hours a day you practice/rehearse?

-> Hahaha, I guess I‘ll have to say zero. I only practice once or twice a week. I‘d like to do more, but I just don‘t have the time, since I‘m busy studying, as well as seeing my girlfriend and hanging out with my friends. But I practice in my mind all the time - which can be more useful sometimes :)

11. Who is the best “secret-keeper” in Disembowel, and who is laughing about others? C’mon I know how many funny things happen on the road! hahahahaha

-> Hmm...I guess that is not clearly structured. We all kinda make fun of each other....and ourselves as well :D
Yeah, a lot of funny shit happens when we‘re on the road - 5 insane guys travelling can‘t end good XD Mostly Denny and Helge rip it up, me and Robert are the quieter guys....

12. Your favorite alcohol?

-> Any kind of good beer :D



Unfortunately we came to the end of this interview. But as soon as the new album comes, I am here too! :) Thanx for supporting every single work of mine, especially thanx for being supporters of Vicious Acts Of Humanity Zine!!! I shall leave some space here for you to add something I totally forgot to ask you, and you desperately wanna say :) or your greets for our readers!
I would like to say “HI” to Helge and I would like to make an “appointment” with him on the next Disembowel Interview! ;) Don’t think you can be safe from me Helge! Hahahahahahahaha


Bertrand: Yeah, I‘d like to say thanks for your time and of course again for your support! Also I‘d like to thank all our listeners and everybody who visits our concerts!
Denny: The same thing Bertrand said, and something really important:
DON’T EAT YELLOW SNOW!!
Rob: support sickness!!!








Clearwater Deathblow Interview
With Ethan (guitars)
Made By KatEternal




logo Clearwater Deathblow



Brutal, Grinding & Blasting Hailz Ethan! First, I would like to say big “THANX” for the Incredible Support you and entire Clearwater Deathblow showed us, we really appreciate it bro!
I will try bring our readers closer to seeing and discovering you as I did! (As a KICKASS BAND!) :)

1. At the very own beginning, tell me how are you?
I am fine, the Canadian winter is beginning and it’s cold. Aside from that, everything is good.

2. Ok. Now as much as I hate these “standard” questions, I have to ask you, so our readers can find out more about you too. (Cant be selfish nowadays -hahahahaha) Therefore, C.D. Was formed back in 2005, and still standing proud! Tell me more about your “intro” into the underground scene…. when did you discover your addiction to music and the very own beginnings of C.D. as a band? Did you have the same band name back then?
Yeah, we’re still standing proud, even if it’s only been 3 years hahaha! We’ve participated in many bands throughout the Montreal music scene over the last 20 years. Playing in bands is nothing new to us. We played in various Death metal, Hardcore, Punk and Jazz bands. Clearwater was formed by NickPalm and Bédaine who were jamming out riffs that eventually became what you hear on “Parasite Cleansing”. They soon contacted Martin Gore and Matt Skunk to complete the band.

3. Who had that idea of naming the band “Clearwater Deathblow?”
That would be NickPalm

4. How hard it was back in 2005 to get on the stage and give to the others that “CLEARWATER SLAP in the face”? In other words, did you have to pass bad & ugly things, and survive lots of scene betrayers and back-stabbers ‘till getting your name out in the Grind community?
I can’t speak for myself because I wasn’t in the band back in 2005. I’d have to say no, it wasn’t very hard and no, we didn’t deal with backstabbers. As we grow older, we have the common sense to just avoid those types of people. We’ve been around long enough to know who we should deal with and who we should avoid.

5. Tell me more about your role in Clearwater Deathblow…As a guitarist, but in the old-school dayz :) How was your contact with the other guyz from the band, and which bands were (are) your biggest influence in the beginning and now?
I arrived in the band just as the recording of the album was done. Bedaine had composed 2 guitar tracks on most of the tunes, so the addition of a second guitarist was a natural move. I did an audition and got the job. I should add that Bedaine moved back to his home town of Chicoutimi (a 6 hour drive from Montréal) in january 2008. He still composes music and plays most of the shows. As for influences it's quite various, but I’d say Napalm Death, Voivod and Brutal Truth.

6. Things in the underground are changing fast with every year that comes. You probably went to some line-up changes from 2005 until now, or you are in the same line-up of sikkoz?
The only line-up change we had was me joining the band in June 2008.

7. Was there any bad moment so far, something that made you (and the others) re-think where Clearwater Deathblow is going?
No, we're just in it for the fun of it.

8. Mostly of the fights (not violent ones) that members in the same band have, are issues around the music, but how much do you allow your private life to affect in the whole creation of C.D.?
So far, we haven’t had any issues with writing music. We keep a very open mind about ideas and everybody is involved in every decision. We haven’t started bitch slapping each other yet hahaha.

9. What do you consider as a biggest achievement of your band so far? I am sure there are more important to come, but we are speaking about the period of 2005-2008?
Definitely the production and subsequent release of “Parasite Cleansing”

10. What do you think about the Canadian metal scene nowdayz? Can we get any recommendations from you on some Montreal bands? (Remember to focus on the death metal/grind bands only!) :)
I’ll speak for what’s in Montreal because that’s where I’m living. I’d say we have an awesome selection of bands and talent here. But, from my experience, I wouldn’t call it a scene. People go out to see metal shows, but only big name bands. And when smaller bands book shows together, each band brings their own friends who leave once their band has finished playing. There’s not much solidarity. Augury, Unhuman, Empathy Denied, (The)Plasmarifle, Nervous Impulse, are some cool bands to check out.

11. Which of the Canadian bands and the bands worldwide you feel like a true metal brotherz and your honest supporters since Day 1? (Be careful, this is your only chance to say “FUCK OFF” to someone that annoys you!) Ha ha ha
We have a lot of guest vocalists on the albums, so we consider these guys to be our closest collaborators. Alex Boudreault and DEMENTAL/EMPATHY DENIED, Youri Raymond and UNHUMAN, Éric Fiset (OSCENE CRISIS r.i.p.) Stéphane Gauvreau and Filip Ivanovic (AGONY), Anthony Prieto (DETHRONED/GODLESS RISING/ex-MORTICIAN), Martin Lacroix (ex-CRYPTOPSY), Stéphane Paré (ex-QUO VADIS)... In addition, Martin Gore is member of NYDM Quebec (New-York Death Militia). As for the FUCK OFF, I'll just resist the temptation for now...
12. What band do you consider as a real sick influenza of Clearwater Deathblow?
We all have our share of influences, so CWDB is a real melting pot. I'd say DRI, Voivod, Napalm Death, Brutal Truth... The list could goes on for hours.
13. Album questions :) WHO WAS THE “GODFATHER” OF THAT KILLER ALBUM TITLE? (“Parasite Cleansing”)
Nickpalm. He’s full of merry ideas.
14. In this album we have extraordinary death metal/grindcore as it should be! Deranged guitar work, bass lines that just keeps torturing you. Vocals that throw you to the right, then to the left, constantly fast drums, insane conception, tension, and twisted ideology!!! I am interested in how long did you finally managed to create all of your songs? Not the studio period (recording of the songs) but the process of creating them?
It was a 2 year process. Nick and Bédaine wrote over half of the basic ideas by themselves in late 2005. Then the band and the songs really kicked in when the lineup was completed. Gore and Skunk adding their own deranged influences to the mix. The CWDB sound is just the sum of it's members.
15. I never seem to have enough of” Parasite Cleansing” album, so the question here is…who was the genius that gave the idea of putting entire 30 songs on this album? :)
Hahahaha, It was a collective agreement. As new tunes kept coming before the recording process, we thought it would be cool to have 30 songs in 30 minutes. We missed the mark by 2 minutes...
16. Who writes the lyrics in Clearwater Deathblow? Mainly that means the vocalist, but not necessarily. Moreover, what about the music…Does everyone gives a piece of his mind or there is only one in charge? The music is written collectively. Everyone contributes their input and the end result is what you hear. The main lyricist for the band is Nickpalm. He’s always writing.
17. Would you ever film a video, and if you were going to make it, what song you would choose? We have a bunch of live footage (Gore shoots every shows we play), but no “official” video yet. We have plans to produce one soon, so stay tuned! Personally, I think Wrrraahh, would be a cool tune. And maybe a live DVD somewhere along the road...
18. We came to the question I was so anxious to ask you :) Why did Clearwater Deathblow decided not to tour out of the borders of Canada? I know I am not the only Non-Canadian person that is disappointed.
The problem with touring is in part financial, but mostly because of our personnal obligations. Touring brings up expenses we simply cannot afford. We are all full time workers, some of us have children and touring simply isn’t feasible financially. So we keep a lower profile. We play local shows headlining for bigger bands and we’re OK with that.

19. How are the shows in Canada? Are you satisfied with how often you have them and from the feedback you are getting from your audience?
The shows are cool, always lots of fun. They’re getting better and better.

20. Who are the guyz from C.D.? What does your usual day look alike?
Just 5 dudes, all over 30 (some near forty ha!) who work full time and play in a brutal Grindcore band on week ends.

21. I also know that every member of C.D. was/is member in other bands. I am interested how you manage to find time, will and inspiration to play music, give us another creation that will sound original and good as well as C.D.?
All the other bands are side projects and they are done in our spare time after Clearwater. There are no conflicts. This is our main focus. Right now we’re starting the writing for the next record, 2 songs have been completed so far. Bedaine is sending us riffs in .mp3 format regularly. When he’ll be down for a rehearsal, we’ll be busy writing more killer tunes with him. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

22.By your opinion, what do you think about grindcore scene today? Are you one of those “pessimists of the past” saying, Grind scene (bands, fans, supporterz, distros, zines) existed earlier, and now its getting worse, or you still have faith that better grind dayz are coming? (Surely, you belong to this second group, cause C.D. still exists, but I refer to the people and fans around you?)
Personally, I have no opinion on the grindcore scene per sea. All that matters is that kids go out to shows, trade music and support the bands they like.

24.What are the plans for the future? When you will say “Clearwater Deathblow is in the past”) (I hope Not soon, maybe after 50 years) :)
Hahaha in 50 years we’ll all be over 80 year old. I doubt we’ll be playing music at that age hahahaha. Let’s just take it one day at a time. For now, we’re not going anywhere.

25.Before I bore you to death, I will finish my interview here :) I can only thank you for your support and time, and thanx for being part of the Vicious Ones! Glad we could “reveal” Clearwater Deathblow in our Zine. Keep on executing brotherz!!! You have my fully support! Anything you want to ask me or you wanna say to our readers?
Thank you for taking the time to get to know us a little better. We appreciate all the support from people who dig our music. It’s always nice to hear. Check out www.clearwaterdeathblow.com regularly for events, music, videos and merch!

No comments:

VICIOUS INTRO

The first Issue (1) Of Our Web Zine Will Be Posted In The Early January 2009! We Already Started Working On Some Reviews & Interviews, And Discovering Some Brutalism, So We Can Satisfy Our Reader's Extreme Taste For Death Metal And Grindcore. (and, of course, the other sub-genres that are connected with these two).
Me (KatEternal) And Patrick (The Founder Of This E- Zine) are pretty much excited that we have the chance to spread the disease, hope we will get your honest respect, true feedback and extreme support! So, I & VICIOUS_ACTS_OF_HUMANITY E - ZINE Hail All Of You Extreme, Perverse, Saddistic, Deranged, Brutal & Alcoholic Sicko's Outhere!
LET THE KILLING BEGIN!

CYCLOTRON - Unclassified Death Metal....